Your Ad Here

Thread: Board of Trustees

BAF Cash
    Thanks

Board of Trustees

Hey,
    I need some advice, so bear with me while I explain. I work for a timeshare, and the basic structure is that there is an operations manager, and then above her is a Board of Trustees. The board members are timeshare members. The thing is that there is behavior from the Operation Manager that is unacceptable by any standard, and some of it is unethical. Basically what is going on is that she never comes to work, but on Fridays for payroll, and leaves. Not only that but there are things piling up that she isn't doing that no body else can do, and it is making it impossible for anyone else to do there job. She printed out invoices two months after they were due to be sent out, it took her three months to cash owners checks for there fee's (and some of these checks even got cancelled because it took so long), she doesnt lock the over the phone payments up, which have people's credit card numbers on them, and they are sitting right at front desk for anyone to use. Our bills for city sewage, and water are way past due simply because she hasnt gotten around to paying them. I had a federal agent here looking for her because she never paid the taxes. We can't put reservations in past June because she hasnt gotten around to renewing our reservation software and has been saying since january that she is making a new system yet has barely started it.
    Before I started the Front desk supervisor actually went to the board, and told them all of the stuff she was doing, and they did nothing, and he got his hours cut way back, and she made the environment so hostile he ended up quitting. The board only meets once every four months and when they are here she is busy, and on her best behavior but once they leave things are back to normal for her. None of them actually work or are familiar with the hospitality industry so have no idea what is going on. So I guess the question is is there is a board of Trustees is there anyway to go above them. I am about to leave regardless because of the absolute lack of structure and organization, but I feel bad just leaving all these owners that I have had to lie to, to cover the Operation Manager, and I feel something needs to be done. Sorry about the big block of text, and thanks

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Without seeing the legal documents that govern the timeshare members, I can only surmise that the only way to "go above" the Board of Trustees is to go directly to the members, if you can even do that. The members have elected the Board members to act on their behalf and they have delegated the responsibility of management and supervision of the timeshare association to the Board. Going to the members of a timeshare could be cumbersome and somewhat costly unless you have email addresses. In addition, it might be futile. Chances are that any given timeshare member is going to not want to be bothered. That is why they chose someone else to be on the Board.

When you say that the former front desk supervisor went to the Board, do you know who he contacted? Was it just one officer, like the President of the Board of Trustees, or did he contact the entire board. If the latter, has there been any change in the composition of the Board since that time? Perhaps new members of the Board might be more receptive to taking action. Can you let the Board know anonymously? I suppose that if the group of employees is small enough, your manager will be able to pinpoint who the likely source of the report is anyway.

Unfortunately, unless her poor work habits start affecting the members directly and they start pushing for change, it will probably be difficult for anyone on the inside who sees what is going on to create the pressure for a change.
    www.illinoisbusinessattorney.com - legal services for entrepreneurs

3. Business Attorney Thanked by:

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    There are some battles worth fighting and others from which it is best to walk away. I think, in this case, your best advice is the latter. Realistically, there is nothing in it for you to "bell the cat" as the mice (or timeshare members) don't appear to care. If it's any satisfaction, managers like your Operation Manager ultimately fail. When you have had enough, simply write a letter of resignation and leave. Again, there is nothing but downside in this situation for you - you will not be appreciated by the Board by making them deal with a problem they had rather ignore, the Operations Manager will be upset and, of copurse, a poor reference. This is one job you learn from and move on down the road.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    If it's affecting your overall performance, why walk away? Try to contact whoever is the most powerful person in the company (President, CEO, VP, etc) and bring evidence to properly address your situation.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    We recently had a business partner with the same attitude. The CEO and also the shareholder with the most equity decided that enough is enough, and that such kind of behaviour is unacceptable in business. I also suggest you take some action, as Business Attorney adviced you - try and speak directly to the members. Good Luck.