Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big List of Sites That Pay You To Write

BAF Cash
    Thanks

Red face Big List of Sites That Pay You To Write

We're all trying to make ends meet, but if you have the ability to write a proper English paragraph, there are a number of websites that will pay you to do so.

Start with Associated Content

AC pays in two ways. For exclusive content they pay an upfront fee which can be anything from a buck to 15 bucks, maybe more. It's based on how well they think they can sell the ads that will land on your page.

For non-exclusive material, they pay for hits to the site but it's fractions of a penny.

How they figure your pay has to do with a complex performance payout system that I doubt anyone can explain. But if you like to write and you have time to post regular, exclusive, relevant content, then you could make some bank here.

The loading process is a bit cumbersome, you have to fill in lots of boxes with links and proof of copyright if you use a photo - I imagine it gets easier with time.

To up your chances of making some good money, follow the prompts they send for popular content, really hit the SEO in your text and read the tips from other writers. There's money here if you know how to work it.

I'll be back with another site in a bit - but feel free to add on if you know of a good one.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,518 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Thanks for that Cynthia. Associated Content looks like a great resource for writers looking to get paid for their work.

I've had a look at your own sites and your profile and you appear to be built up quite a name for yourself and established yourself as a writer. It's great to have an author of four books participating in our forum.

Does it take long to establish yourself as an online writer?

Is it difficult to earn decent money along the way?

Personally I find it difficult to think of interesting topics to write on, but when someone suggests a topic that interests me I do enjoy writing about it. Do online writers normally come up with their own topics or do their employers request articles on specific topics?

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Thanks for sharing such a site. I am always searching for the good sites. But unfortunately I do not get in. Once I found Helium but it is not operating for Indians. Might be it will work.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Associated Content has been bookmarked. Thanks for sharing this is us Cynthia. I might just try this great money making opportunity. It's also a good place to do some research. It has almost everything, from training for a marathon to baking cakes.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    I used to write for Associated Content and American Chronicle. Then I realized that I could make WAY more money if I just monetized my own site/blog and post my stuff there. If you are willing to do some SEO and build links/traffic, you can make a lot more on your own sites. If you just want to write, then these are great ways to get a few dimes and nickels. Of course, if you just want to write you'll make a lot more going the normal freelance route.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flashgordonweb View Post
    I used to write for Associated Content and American Chronicle. Then I realized that I could make WAY more money if I just monetized my own site/blog and post my stuff there. If you are willing to do some SEO and build links/traffic, you can make a lot more on your own sites. If you just want to write, then these are great ways to get a few dimes and nickels. Of course, if you just want to write you'll make a lot more going the normal freelance route.
    I agree with you to some extent. I've only recently had luck monetizing a website and I know that's intimidating for many people. What I like about AC is that you don't have to give them an exclusive - so you can use content you've written for your own blog in order to spread the wealth around!

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Let's talk Helium - I have little experience with this site. I feel like it's a notch about Associated Content but that could be because it has a nicer interface. They also use a complex system of upfront payments and 'profit sharing' percentages in order to pay you.

What's interesting is you have to maintain at least one rating star to get your money. So my account (which I only ever used once) shows 5 cents then a deduction because I haven't maintained my rating presumably because I haven't been on the site in ages.

Does anyone have any experiences with Helium to share?

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    I am a writer myself but do not use AC as it mostly caters to those from US - The upfront payments are not eligible worldwide. Now , I sell content in freelance forums/ marketplaces/ other webmaster forums. It really does pay more that way - Try it

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    I have some articles published at AC but I haven't posted anything new there for quite some time. Unless things have changed a good deal, they do pay upfront for non-exclusive articles but they must be published at AC first before you submit or use them elsewhere. They only offer upfront payments to US writers, unfortunately. I still get small payments every month or so for page views on articles I put there over a year ago, so it's not bad really.

One place that is excellent to use is Constant-Content.com but they do not pay upfront. They are a middleman between you and the buyer. You post your articles there and list the price you want for the various rights (you can choose usage or full rights). When they sell, they credit you with the amount minus their cut of the sale price. With this site, if you cater to the public requests being made, you can make a steady income there.

Another site that I use as a time filler (when I have time and inclination) is textbroker.com. With that site, you can choose topics from the list available. The rate is commensurate with your abilities, to a certain degree. They require a writing sample which they rate from 2 - 5 with the pay rate going up for better writers. I will tell you that every good writer that I know only is rated a 3 for their sample. However, they rate each article you submit and within a few articles, better writers will go up to a 4. A 5 rating is reserved for what they call "professional" writers and I'm really not sure how one qualifies for that. I think you have to have print publishing credentials to qualify but I'm not positive.

10. Thanked by;

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    I haven't used http://www.textbroker.com/ nichewitch.

Are they and established business and have you actually been paid by them?

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Yes, I have been paid by them and so have a number of other writers I know. I am also seeing them recommended on a lot of forums lately as content providers. They have only been around for a year or so, I believe, but they have really gained a good reputation. I have yet to hear anything negative about them.

Textbroker does not pay my usual rates so I don't write a lot for them. I use them mainly as a filler when I have a light work day. They always have a good number of choices for topics and article lengths so I can work just what I want to and have time for that day.

I work mostly for direct clients acquired through referrals, forums and my website. It never hurts to have other sources to fall back on, though.

13. Thanked by;

BAF Cash
    Thanks

Textbroker

Hi Nichewitch,
    I'm glad that you've signed up and written for us.
    You may have seen that you can also set your per-word price for orders that come directly to you. If you have an order that you really enjoyed, simply send the client a message that you'd be available for DirectOrders. If the client liked your work as well, many are willing to pay a premium for a dependable author that delivers quickly, and are happy to send orders straight to you (via our system).

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    It's nice to see you in here, textbroker. Congratulations, by the way. I read in another forum earlier today that it's officially been a year that you've been providing services. You really are getting a nice reputation around the net.

Yes, I know that I can set my own direct rate and I have done so but I didn't realize that I could contact buyers. I did have a job not long ago that I loved so I kept checking the site for a while, hoping to see more from them but there wasn't any further orders.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthiab View Post
    Let's talk Helium - I have little experience with this site. I feel like it's a notch about Associated Content but that could be because it has a nicer interface. They also use a complex system of upfront payments and 'profit sharing' percentages in order to pay you.

What's interesting is you have to maintain at least one rating star to get your money. So my account (which I only ever used once) shows 5 cents then a deduction because I haven't maintained my rating presumably because I haven't been on the site in ages.

Does anyone have any experiences with Helium to share?
    I would never use Helium. Ever read their small print in the TOS ? They imho try to be underhand by bolding initially that you retain ownership of your original article. They say:

Helium does not claim ownership of the content you publish on the Site. After publishing content on the Site, you (or a third party who permitted you to publish their content on the Site) continue to retain all ownership to the content, subject to the license terms described herein, and you continue to have the right to use the content in any way you choose
    Sounds okay if you're skimming the page and looking to see what rights you're giving them. Most would see that jump out at them and read no further. Probably 95% of contributors would do that, feeling okay they're not losing ownership.

What Helium doesn't bold is this next part - the bolding within this is mine:

Grant of license: By submitting your content to Helium, you grant Helium (and any Helium successors-in-interest, subsidiaries, or parent companies), a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable, non-exclusive, sub-licensable right and license to, in whole or in part, with or without attribution to you, use, copy, modify, edit, adapt, publish, publicly display/perform, translate, display, create derivative works from and/or license and/or distribute content posted to the Site. Helium’s rights to content you submit include the right to make editorial revisions to your content; to use your name or pen name as author of your content; to use in any way the materials you submit on the Helium website or in other Helium media, whether now or hereafter created; to use for our own internal business purposes; and/or to reproduce and distribute the materials for Helium’s marketing and publicity purposes.
    Which basically means they do whatever they want with it and don't even need to mention your name. So if they decide to run your article through a spinner, create a million derivative works and sell them, you get nothing, not even credit as the original author. They can build new subsidiary sites and earn from them too using your work, again without even a nod in your direction. They can rewrite your article - so called editorial revisions - as much as they want. The whole gist of your article's point could be wiped out entirely or changed. I don't know what would be worse, them doing that or doing it and leaving your name attached to it. No way would I ever submit there.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Congratulations on your success Textbroker, welcome to Business Advice Forum and thanks for joining.

Kay, your post acts as a good warning that we should always read the small print, you just can't be too careful. Unfortunately, like you say, many of us just skim through the small print and miss very important terms that could impact us long into the future.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast