Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best forms of local advertising

BAF Cash
    Thanks

Best forms of local advertising

My family business is doing great however a lot of our business is through word of mouth and I am now looking at advertising, however I want peoples view on what is the best form of local advertising, what has worked for you in the past and what is a waste of time and money.

2. Thanked by;

Banned
    BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Hi Rich.

I think some of the best forms of local advertising are the simple and cheap things, such as putting up business cards in shop or supermarket windows. They are great places to target for a business such as yours (childminding) too because parents regularly visit local shops.

You also might want to check up the legality of what you're doing though. I'm pretty sure there are limitations on how many children you're allowed to have in a certain amount of space.

- Grumpy

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Grumpy no offence but before you comment please think first, to do anything with children you have to be registered with OFSTED and they tell you how many you are allowed etc. You have rules and regulations, plus you have to have CRM check from the police and registered with local authorities and also have the correct qualifications, not any tom, dick or harry can do it.

5. Thanked by;

Banned
    BAF Cash
    Thanks
    While I appreciate and know that, I wasn't sure if they had told you how many children you're allowed to have. I haven't worked with kids before so wouldn't know the exact procedures, so sorry.

Anyway, like I said, you should try business cards in shop windows. One thing that might also be very effective (depending on the age of your eldest children), you could ask them to create a poster to promote your business while they're with you. I'm sure if parents can see first-hand what kind of things the children get upto, and seeing that it's done by a child themselves might give them a nice reflection, possibly?

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,509 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richazey View Post
    My family business is doing great however a lot of our business is through word of mouth and I am now looking at advertising, however I want peoples view on what is the best form of local advertising, what has worked for you in the past and what is a waste of time and money.
    Is it a child care business / crèche?

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Childminding, my wife started it due to background thne as she got busier took me on as a partner and i run the adminside of the business.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    I read yesterday about the importance of using Google webmaster tools to specify your location. I believe this will help you show up better in local results.

BAF Cash
    Thanks

Google, google, google

Don't forget to register your business with google, and to have all of your happy customers place good reviews for the business on google. Also you may consider a PPC campaign, but not until you've got a decent site that sells your service well.

Banned
    BAF Cash
    Thanks
    local classified and local newspaper is best option

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    For Google, you probably should use Google Places.

For a local advertising and marketing campaign I'd suggest printing some posters, then visiting places where parents of young children go and asking if they would mind displaying your poster there. You could try schools, supermarkets, post offices, pharmacies, doctors surgeries, hospitals, relevant public / government buildings, churches, etc. Many of these locations would be happy to put up your poster, because you provide a service that is of interest to their users / customers. You could also try doing leaflet drops to housing estates (especially newer ones) in your area. Print the flyers yourself and then go walkabout. You might be surprised how many leaflets you can deliver in the space of a few hours.

Does that sound like an approach that could work for your business?

You may also find this related thread helpful - new business advice - nursery business.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    I think you may do some promotion activities, like supermarket. You may send leaflets in streets. Send people little gifts when they finish their informations about themselves. It is a better way to broden your company's fame. Give customers discount if they let new people to buy your goods. Make use of your old customers.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Some good replies thanks but google really its a small business and parents are not going to google childminders....

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.hazey View Post
    ..parents are not going to google childminders....
    You might be surprised, have a look at this, taken just now from Google's keyword tool. The "Local Monthly Searches" refer to searched undertaken from the UK. Were any of my suggestions in post #10 helpful to you?

You might also be able to promote your business flyers or posters at post-natal classes.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Nice idea thanks Fergal

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Give out flyers to everyone you know in the neighborhood. Ask stores if you can place your flyers there. Newspaper is also good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast